Sunday, March 31, 2013

UNIT NINE ASSIGNMENT


PART ONE:

1. Anderson, T.D. (2006), “Uncertainty in action: observing information seeking within the creative processes of scholarly research”, Information Research, Vol. 12 No. 1, available at: http://InformationR.net/ir/12-1/paper283.html (accessed 24 December 2006).
·         This is a website
·         I would copy the URL and paste it in the search bar of my web browser and search the open web
·         This item is available online using the provided URL.

2. Belkin, N.J. (1980), “Anomalous states of knowledge as a basis for information retrieval”, Canadian Journal of Information Science, Vol. 5, pp. 133-43.
·         This is an article in a journal
·         I would look under the “Find a Journal at WSU” tab to see if WSU owns this item
·         WSU does not have this item electronically. I was not even able to locate it anywhere. I found the journal it is in, but much newer volumes.

3. Bilal, D. (2000), “Children’s use of the Yahooligans! Web search engine: I. Cognitive, physical and affective behaviors on fact-based search tasks”, Journal of the American Society for Information Science, Vol. 5 No. 7, pp. 646-65.
·         This is an article in a journal
·         I would look under the “Find a Journal at WSU” tab to see if WSU owns this item
·         WSU has this item electronically. I clicked on the Wiley Option which is the publishers interface and the journal was located, then the article was located within that journal

4. Case, D. (2007), Looking for Information: A Survey of Research on Information Seeking, Needs and Behavior, 2nd ed., Academic Press, Amsterdam.
·         This is a Book
·         I would use the Griffin catalog on the library home page and do a title search for the book in the entire collection and see if WSU owns a copy of the book.
·         WSU-Vancouver campus does not have it. We would need to request it from the Pullman campus

5. Chowdhury, G.G. (2004), “Access and usability issues of scholarly electronic publications”,
In Gorman, G.E. and Rowland, F. (Eds), Scholarly Publishing in an Electronic Era. International
Yearbook of Library and Information Management, 2004/2005, Facet Publishing, London,
pp. 77-98.
·         This is a chapter in a book
·         I used the Griffin catalog on the library home page and did a title search for the book in the entire collection
·         WSU does not have this item electronically so I will need to request it through ILLiad.

PART TWO
1.      Cook-Deegan, Robert , The Gene Wars: Science, Politics, and the Human Genome, W.W. Norton, 1994.
·                     This is a Book
·                     I would use the Griffin catalog on the library home page and do a title search for the book in the entire collection and see if WSU owns a copy of the book.
·                     WSU-Vancouver campus does not have it. We would need to request it from the Pullman campus

2.      “Biotechnology and Genetics: Breaking Nature's Limits,” The Economist, Feb. 25, 1995.
·         This is an Article in a Journal
·         I would look under the “Find a Journal at WSU” tab to see if WSU owns this item
·         WSU had a link for the actual Journal. I searched for the article by its title and found it.

3.      Cotton, Paul , “High-tech assault on HIV: Gene therapy,” JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, Oct. 26, 1994, p. 6. 
·                     This is an Article found in a database
·                     I  looked under the “Database” tab on the library’s home page and then clicked on  Academic Search Complete ‘EBSCO HOST’ to see if WSU owns this item
·                     WSU had a link for the article in the EBSCO HOST database. The full text is found online.

PART THREE
·         Name: Current Gene Therapy: the international journal for in-depth reviews on gene therapy
·         Content Type: Academic / Scholarly
·         Refereed / Peer-reviewed. Found under Additional Title Details - Key Features
·         Database that can be used to search for more information from this journal is EBSCO HOST that can be found through the databases from the WSU-V library website

PART FOUR
            I am not going to lie, this assignment was a lot of work, and most of it came in the time that it took to find what I needed. I have never once gone back and found an article, book, periodical or anything by its citation. This is the first time that I have ever done that. And I must admit, It was interesting to see that it is possible. I have always looked at the citations and thought to myself, there is no way I can find what I need just by looking at the citation. However, I can now say that I can. I have learned to distinguish between an article, a periodical, a book and a book chapter just by looking at the citation given. Using what I have learned from this class already, I was able to put things together and get this assignment done. 

1 comment:

  1. Saleh,
    You clearly put a lot of effort into learning this new skill and if you continue to use it you will find it gets easier. You did and excellent job of identifying the material from the citation and in locating the items. You also did well in Part Three. The only minor error you made was in Part Two where you were to have three different types of information. Articles in journals and in databases are the same thing. Remember the databases hold citations and digital copies of journal articles.
    Keep up the good work, you are nearly finished,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete